Community Home Community Customer Suggestions Apple HomeKit Reply To: Apple HomeKit

Josh Wheeler
Keymaster

REYG

Here’s what I know, we have been installing MFI Chips, they’re what enable HomeKit on a device, on all of our Gen2 timers from day one in anticipation of supporting HomeKit. We have generated MFI codes for all of these devices, which are what get used to create basically what I’d call the username and password for each device to connect to the HomeKit platform.

Our engineers have been working with Apple engineers to handle more than simply On & Off, which a lot of HomeKit devices do. Ours requires recognizing multiple zones and starting the correct one for the correct amount of time and so on. Our goal was to make the HomeKit experience as good as possible with the first release.

We have received a few test units from engineering to begin testing with, as those tests go we’re still early but we hope to get some units out in the field soon.

All Gen2 timers will be updateble over the air (OTA), basically the MFI chip has to be enabled and the “username and password” have to be sent to the timer so that it can be registered with HomeKit.

Has this all taken much longer than we had expected? Yes! Is the fact that this was a first for us, and at the time a first for HomeKit a good excuse? Not really but it’s all we got. :\ Are we still planning to support HomeKit? Yes, soon…

Wish I had a better response but that’s all I have at the moment.

I certainly understand the frustration and believe it is warranted, I’d be equally frustrated if I had been told I’d have something and I don’t. How do we make it up to you and the rest of our customers? I hope that once it is released it will be a good experience and you’ll like it.

Spread the love!