Community Home Community B-Hyve Indoor/Outdoor Timer External rain sensor testing and understanding its operation Reply To: External rain sensor testing and understanding its operation

jseymour
Participant

On October 11, 2018 JOSH WHEELER wrote:

As of now, all B-hyve underground timers and the App for iOS and Android function properly (will show on the app and timer that there is a sensor delay in effect) with Orbit Rain Sensors. Other brand sensors I have not tested and can’t vouch for but I’d imagine they’d work too.

I can confirm everything works as Josh previously described on the timer and the iOS app, using a RainBird MiniClik.

* If the sensor’s tripped and a cycle starts, watering will be suspended and that delay reflected on the timer and in the app

* If a program’s running and the sensor trips, watering will be suspended and that so-noted on the timer and in the app

Of particular note: Watering will be suspended, not the program. In other words: The program will start, or continue to run, but no actual watering will occur. If the sensor deactivates while the timer’s in a program, watering will commence or resume at whatever point in which the program is at that time.

On October 11, 2018 JOSH WHEELER wrote:

Two things on the list of wishes I am tracking:

1. Notify the owner of a sensor delay as soon as it is triggered instead of waiting for a scheduled program to start. This is still a possibility but not currently a priority.

2. Ability to override a sensor delay from the app. This is currently not possible on the timer itself, they just don’t work that way. Will we ever change this? I’d like to see it change and will be a proponent for it but there’s a lot ahead of it.

It would be very nice if one got some kind of indicator or notification the rain sensor was activated. If Orbit isn’t going to come up with something I suppose I’ll acquire the Necessary Parts and add an indicator to the rain sensor, itself. (24VAC relay. LED. Small project box. Trivial wiring. Done. Heck: Could easily add a local disable/override switch while I’m at it.)

As for overriding a sensor delay: I suspect that probably is possible, there’s just no user input mechanism, other than disabling the sensor entirely, to accomplish it. As we used to say when I was in the software design field: “It’s just software. It can be changed.” Somebody just has to decide it’s an important enough feature.

Spread the love!